We bend over backwards for income from investments. That has increased debt from lost tax revenues.
The country is built on the backs of hourly workers. We need to end the trickle down failure the GOP has destroyed the middle classes with and be realistic about raising the minimum wage.
The capital gains have created Dow and S&P all-time highs, but only the top 1% are enjoying the wealth. The game is rigged against the other 99%.
It’s no better time to ask for a raise.
Given the great hullabaloo in Washington over government spending, here are a couple of noteworthy facts. Under President Obama, the federal budget deficit has been more than cut in half, from a FY 2009 high of $1.55 trillion (largely inherited from George W. Bush) to an estimated $642 billion this year, according to the Congressional Budget Office.
However, a recent Bloomberg News poll shows that 10 percent of American voters are acquainted with this indisputable fact — 59 percent mistakenly believe that the deficit has risen under Obama. Another 26 percent think it’s remained approximately the same. It’s hard to run a democracy given such widespread public ignorance.
Militant ignorance, much of it. Fully 93 percent of Tea Party members subscribe to the false belief that government spending is skyrocketing out of control. No wonder they’re running around with their hair on fire.
But hold that thought, because there’s more: Measured as a percentage of the overall U.S. economy, the federal budget deficit has shrunk from 10.1 percent in 2009 to 4 percent today. Given increased revenue and decreased spending, the CBO projects the figure will decrease to 2.1 percent by 2015.
Government Shutdown Memes
#5 I Think Ive Found Your Problem
Heres Roy Treeman from The IT Crowd breaking it down for Barack Obama and showing us where the idea for the government shutdown really came from. We thought the Senate was holding the government hostage over Obamacare, but its really just Obamas way of giving the country a soft reset.